We live in an interesting time.
Creativity usually doesn’t involve having truly fresh ideas. It involves coming up with fresh new ways to integrate multiple ideas in a new and unique way. This requires time of deep thought and access to knew ideas.
This leads to why this is an interesting time.
- We’ve never had more access to other peoples ideas
- We’ve never been more distracted by other peoples ideas
I heard someone mention a book which discussed how the internet is changing how our minds work. We’re so used to reading articles and immediately clicking away to a new thought that our brains re-wire themselves to more efficiently function in this manner. Thus, they become accustomed to skipping away from deep thought.
This KILLS creativity.
We have incredible new opportunities to be creative. It just requires intentional work on our part.
- We need to take time for deep, slow thought
- We need to control the distractions in our life
- We need to be intentional about what is filling our minds