Ok…maybe I’m over-stating my case but, despite what the news tells you, things are pretty incredible right now. If you can read this blog post, you have things better than most of human history. To be clear, I am restricting what I’m talking about to technology, health care, and other basic level comforts…but by those standards, we have so little to complain about it.
Sometimes people will ask: If you could live in a different period of time, when would you live? I would choose to live now! Maybe it’s my technology addiction, but life prior to modern technology seems really unpleasant. We’ve got it made these days. Even if you’re not well off financially, technology is so advanced these days that we’re still better off than people 10 years ago.
- Computers did not exist 75 years ago
- The internet did not exist 50 years ago
- High speed internet did not exist 15 years ago
- NetFlix streaming did not exist 6 years ago
- Cell phones did not exist 30 years ago, and they weren’t common place until 15 years ago
- 20 years ago, computer screens only had 16 colors
- Do you have electricity?
- Do you have running water?
- Do you have heating and cooling?
- Do have access to health care?
- Do local doctors use science instead of leaches to heal you?