A great worship song is an intricate marriage of personal experience, powerful revelation and a singable melody. – Jeremy Riddle
ADVISE FOR BECOMING A BETTER SONG WRITER
BECOME A THEOLOGIAN
Theology is for the purpose of doxology – JI Packer
If theology is for the purpose of praising God, worship leaders must be theologians.Some worship leaders passionately sing about nothing.
GROW AS A LYRICIST
To be a great song writer, you need to be a great lyricist. There aren’t enough great lyric writers.
Be a Disciplined Reader
- Read your Bible extensively. Know the language of the Bible
- Read translations/paraphrases like THE MESSAGE for the sake of finding truth communicated poetically
Journal Phrases and Images Which are Impactful
Write Lots and Lots of Lyrics
- Strive to say something in a fresh way, but if you find something original have someone check your lyrics to make sure you’re not a heretic.
- Use your brain and your spirit
- It’s not just about reciting theological facts. You want to communicate truth in a powerful way which ignites the soul.
CO-WRITE YOUR SONGS