Once again, Twitter and several online media sources EXPLODED with coverage of a celebrity’s highly controversial remarks. This time, the comments didn’t come from a voice from Christian circles, but from the original Mary Jane herself, Kirsten Dunst. While it wasn’t surprising when Phil Robertson made remarks on homosexuality which caused a big stir, this round is far more interesting because Kirsten Dunst is a Hollywood insider. A quick Google search for “Kirsten Dunst gender roles,” and you’ll find articles calling her statements offensive, shocking & disappointing, controversial, homophobic & messed up and (my favorite) warrior in the on going gender debate.
So what were these shocking statements?
I feel like the feminine has been a little undervalued. We all have to get our own jobs and make our own money, but staying at home, nurturing, being the mother, cooking– it’s a valuable thing my mom created. And sometimes, you need your knight in shining armor. I’m sorry. You need a man to be a man and a woman to be a woman. That’s how relationships work. (From the May issues of Harper’s Bazaar)
So let’s break down these horrifying statements:
- We have undervalued the feminine
- We all need a job
- A mom staying at home and nurturing her kids is valuable
- SOMETIMES, you need a knight in shining armor
- You need a man to be a man and a woman to be a woman
- That’s how relationships work
SHOCKING! HOMOPHOBIC!! MESSED UP!!! A WARRIOR FOR A CAUSE!!!!
Let’s go through each of these offensive statements real quick!
We Have Undervalued the Feminine
- TRADITIONAL – We have undervalued traditional feminine roles and pushed women towards traditional male roles.
- PROGRESSIVE – We have undervalued the feminine in all roles except the home.
That one shouldn’t offend anyone.
We All Need a Job
I can’t imagine that offending anyone. In particular because this is coming from a hard working woman who is a millionaire.
She Valued Her Stay-At-Home Mom
Once again, if you’re offended that she respects how her mom raised her, there is something wrong with you. She praised her mother’s nurturing nature.
Let’s recap where we’re at:
- We need to value women
- We need to work
- She respects her mother for nurturing her and staying home
Sometimes You Need a Knight in Shining Armor
You Need a Man to Be a Man & a Woman to Be a Woman
That’s How Relationships Work
Let’s Stop Going Nuts
- Saying “Happy holidays” is not waging a war on Christmas
- Not wanting to pay for birth-control for your workers which may be abortive is not waging a war on women or denying them contraceptives
- Pro-Choice is not the same thing as pro-abortion
- Pro-Life isn’t about telling women what to do with their bodies
- Not supporting gay marriage doesn’t mean someone is a hate-filled bigot
- Democrats aren’t just trying to buy notes with welfare programs
- Republicans aren’t heartless monsters who just want the rich to get richer