The first picture of the early church is found in Acts chapter 2. This was Luke’s summary.
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
Now compare that with some of the problems which Paul describes in 1st Corinthians.
- Fighting – Theological differences and fighting (3:3)
- Disorder – Wildly disorderly worship (14)
- Selfishness – Some guy drunk on communion wine (ll:21)
- Conflict – Constant fights over leadership (1:10-13, 3:-5)
- Immorality – Sexual immorality (5:1)
- Divorce – Church members are getting divorced (7:10-11)
- Greed – Members sueing each other (6:1-5)
- Pride – People are arrogant and boastful (3:21, 4:18, 5:6))
Which does your church look like?