I can’t say that this is a lesson I’ve mastered, but I’m trying to do better. There is great power in a simple email which says, “Thank you.” As the leader of the ministry you set the culture. Is it a culture of criticism or gratitude?
Here a few suggestions:
1) Pass along any praise your ministry receives
2) Schedule time each week to send out at least one note to a volunteer
3) When you see something praise worthy, pass the praise along
4) Follow up all big events with gratiude and praise for the people who made it happen
5) Praise people publicly
6) After an event, read people’s responses on Facebook. Compile a list of praise and pass it along to your volunteers