Today I attended the Spur Leadership Conference. Here’s the best of my notes!
Session I – Mac Richard – Pastor of Lake Hills Church of Austin
Living the Leadership Dream
Stage I – Conception – Dream – Vision
- Explorers – People willing to go and figure it out
- Early Adopters – People who join you while you’re figuring it out
- Mal-Discontent – People who are always upset about something and who drift from place to place
Stage II – Childhood – Measure the Dream
- Mentors – People who can help develop you and give you the skills to make your dream a reality
- Managers – People who can deal with details, but who can also see the big picture
- Bean Counters – People who only see the current reality and the bottom like. They don’t see the big picture, and therefore tend to be negative because they don’t see potential.
Stage III – Adolescence – Developing the Dream
- Community Organizers:
- Navigators: Team members holding the team accountable and who keep the team moving towards the vision
- Strength and Conditioning Coaches
Stage IV – Adulthood – Realizing the Dream
- Truth-Tellers: Affirm and refute you
Stage V – Reproduction – Inspire New Dreamers
- “We’re all making it up as we go along”
- “There is no accountability without community”
- “If you want influence, serve someone”
- “What is the one thing that makes the difference? Leaders don’t quite.”
DISCLAIMER: Back in May I wrote a series of blogs about why I’m generally fairly lukewarm about conferences. Regardless, I still have a budget designated towards continued education, and that generally means conferences. Spur Conference just happened to be here in town.