I’m not going to lie. I went to the Spur Leadership Conference for three reasons
1) It was in Austin
2) It was a leadership conference for $99
3) Steven Furtick
Elevation Church and Steven Furtick are probably have the largest influence on how I run my high school ministry theexchangehutto.com. That’s partially because they’re style of ministry resonates with me, and partially because they’re my good luck charm (wait…can pastors say things like that?) I visited Elevation Church back in May, and I decided to implement a few of their ideas with my high school group…our group LITERALLY doubled in size the following week. Less than a month later we doubled in size a second time. And we’ve maintained those numbers for the last 3 months.
It’s impossible to pinpoint the exact cause of our sudden success, but it did come immediately after visiting his church. So I feel their ministry has a been an incredible blessing to our ministry and they’ll probably never know it. Anyway….
Session VII – Steven Furtick – Pastor of Elevation Church
The Story of Elevation Church
Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law.
“I’m scared of the thought that my life might pass me by without God doing something great with my life.” – From “Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire” by Jim Cymbala
- Speak to peoples potential rather than what you don’t want them to be
- Embrace an audacious vision for my life and call it out of the people around me
- You never know when you’re going to say a sentence which will ignite the potential within someone
- If no one has laughed at your vision lately it’s not a vision it’s a daydream
- The difference between a vision and a daydream is the audacity to act
Session VIII – Les Csorba – Former Special Assistant to the President of the US
1) Turn Your Leadership Upside Down – Servant Leadership
- A leaders obsession is his followers
- Are you interested in results or right?
2) Build Trust by Trusting Others – Trustworthy Leadership
- You don’t build trust by micro-managing
- You build trust by letting go and allowing people to fail
3) Self-Awareness Builds Real Vision – Visionary Leadership
Random Thoughts on the Best Leaders:
- High Self-Awareness
- More Ambitious for the Company than for Themself
- Empathetic and Caring
- Manage the Privileges of Leadership
- Truth Others
- They Overcome Adversity
Session IX – General Tommy Franks – Four Star General, Commander-in-Chief, United States Central Command
Random Thoughts on Leadership:
- All absolutes take place within a context
- We’re born only responsible for ourselves. Eventually we become responsible for others. Part of growing up is realizing being responsible for others is more important than being responsible for self.
- Nothing that’s good comes without a price
- Some decisions make no difference. Others will change the direction of your entire life
“Why can’t we just have a cookie?”