1. a sequence of actions regularly followed; a fixed program.
We all have routines. We all have patterns.
- What do you do when you wake up in the morning?
- What do you do when you leave for work? What do you do when your spouse leaves for work?
We all have fixed routines we just follow every day. We never intentionally set this course of action. We never planned to repeat it, but we all find ourselves repeating patterns with little thought put into it.
Routines are neither good nor bad, but they can be both good or bad. That’s why it’s so important that each one of us are intentional about the routines in our lives.
Most daily routines are fairly harmless or helpful on any given day. A goodbye kiss on any one day doesn’t have a radical effect on your marriage. However, a year’s worth of remembering or forgetting your goodbye kiss does have an affect. A year’s worth of coming home excited to see your kids changes your relationship with your kids. But, a year’s worth of coming home and going straight to the study also has an effect on your kids.
Which routines in your life are ruining your marriage?
What is the fixed program when…
- You wake up
- You leave for work
- Your kids wake up
- You have free time
- You’re home for lunch
- You get home from work
- Your husband gets home from work
- Your kids go to bed
- You go to bed
- Your wife disappoints you
- Your husband shows up late
- A disagreement breaks out
Pick a couple of routines in your life, and choose to change your routine. Intentionally changing how you say, “Goodbye,” isn’t a big deal. It’s not a hard thing to do, but it changes the dynamic of your marriage. These areas of life that seem small are easy to forget because there’s no immediate consequence on any given day if you forget to do them. But that’s why you must CHOOSE to do them daily.
That’s why it’s so important to be intentional with your routines, and choose to make small changes to your marriage which will have a long term positive effect.
Consider the small routines you can change in your marriage:
- What can you do for your spouse when you wake up?
- What can you do to say, “I love you,” each day before work?
- What can you do to honor them when it comes to chores?
- What can you do before bed each day to draw closer to your spouse?
- What is a daily change you know your spouse would appreciate?