15) You Keep Throwing Events Only Church Kids Will Enjoy
Guitar Praise, Battle of the Worship Bands, Veggie Tales night, G-rated movie night…all bad ideas which will only interest church kids. Church kids who if they aren’t going to your church will go to the church down the street.
Less than 20% of Americans go to church. Your best bet is to reach the other 80% with the gospel. Attempting to steal people from other churches by throwing lame church kid events is a terrible idea.
For that matter, church kids only like these kinds of events because that’s all they’ve ever done. As soon as you they start doing normal things, they’ll quickly realize how lame these events are.
16) You Aren’t Paying Attention to Who’s Coming, Returning, and Leaving for Good
For people to stick around, you have to notice them. You have to notice when they come, when they return, and when they’ve disappeared.
These days it’s easier than ever. When they come and visit you ask them a few simple questions. Within days you can be friends on MySpace and Facebook and following them on twitter. If you haven’t seen them in awhile, start up a chat on the internet. It’s non-invasive, but it shows you care.
17) You’re Doing Lots of Things Really Crappy Instead of a Few Things Really Well
If you’re preparing 3 lessons, leading 2 small groups, discipling 3 guys, attending 5 meetings, and planning 4 large events every single week, why would you be surprised if the quality of each of these things is lacking?
Why do 10 things poorly, when you can do a few things really great? You aren’t doing yourself any favors by spreading yourself thin. You’ll burn yourself out doing a bunch of work you’re not proud of.
18) Your Ministry Has No Front Door
If everything you do is clearly designed for current members, then visitors will always be uncomfortable.
To grow, you need environments which exist for visitors.
If your members are excited about your ministry, they need somewhere to point friends so that they can connect with the church.